List of documents needed for a civil marriage:
- Passport or ID copy for both parties
- Full birth certificates for both parties
- The couple is obligated to obtain full version birth certificates containing the parents’ details.
- Certificate of Non-impediment to Μarriage for both parties
- This document confirms that you are free to marry. This document is available at your local Registrar and it shouldn’t be issued more than 3 or 6 months (depending on your country) before your wedding day.
- Please note that 2 certificates are required: one for each party
- Decree Absolute (In case of one or both parties having been divorced, you are obligated to obtain a decree absolute)
- Spouse's death certificate and previous marriage certificate (If you are widowed you are obligated to obtain this certificate)
- Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration (You need this document if you changed your name in the past. Please note this includes divorcees who have reverted to their maiden name)
- Adoption Certificate (In case of one or both parties having been adopted, you are obligated to obtain this certificate)
All documents should have an Apostille Stamp as proof of their authenticity.
- This stamp refers the legalization and validity of your documents for international use. (1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents). The Apostille Stamp is necessary for birth certificates, Certificates of no Impediment to marry and Free to Marry Affidavits.
- All documents must be translated and certified in the Greek Embassy / Consulate in your country. You can send your documents by fax or email our agency for translation service.
- Please note that all documents must be sent by fax or email for review 4 weeks before your wedding. We have to confirm that your paperwork is in order. After that, you just need to bring the originals with you.
- You have to stay in Greece at least 1 day (work day) after your wedding, in order to go to the Town Hall to sign your Marriage Certificate. It will be sent to you by post from our office.